Legend Boats Blog

Boat safety and licensing F17

Don't Forget About Boat Safety and Licensing

So you finally took the plunge and bought a boat - Congratulations! Trust me, this is one investment you will never regret making!

I know the only thing on your mind is getting on the water, but before you make any waves you need to

take care of some basic housekeeping items about boat safety and getting the proper licensing to ensure our waterways stay safe and fun for everyone!


Pleasure Craft Licence:

Did you know that when you purchase a new boat Transport Canada requires you to obtain a Pleasure Craft Licence?

According to Transport Canada, if your boat is powered by one or more motors adding up to 7.5 kW (10 hp) or more, and are planning on operating mostly in Canada, you will need to get a Pleasure Craft Licence.  

Ok, so that’s what?

Well it's time to show them what you're made of and prove you've got what it takes to operate a boat safely!


Pleasure Craft Operator Card:

Up until 1999 anyone could operate a boat, regardless of boating safety knowledge, experience or training.  Who else has those fond memories of driving grandpa's boat before being taught to tie shoelaces?

Boat safety and licensing

Ok, so things have changed a little. In an effort to make our waterways safer, anyone operating a boat with a motor for recreational purposes must first prove that they are competent to do so.  

Before getting out on the water you are now required to prove that you have basic boating safety knowledge and a good understanding of the Canadian waterways.

This same requirement applies to operating all types of motorized boats, regardless of the size, including electric trolling motors!

The Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) is the standard document used to show you are competent to be operating that new boat of yours - This is your official Canadian boating license.

To get your very own PCOC you will have to pass a boating safety test, which is usually the test taken at the end of a boating safety course. 

Did you know...Those of you with a Certificate from a Canadian boating safety course completed before April 1, 1999, or a professional marine certificate or equivalent may not be required to get a PCOC.

That said, for the rest of us, you can easily complete your course and testing online and be on your way to your boating licence all from the comfort of your home.  Click here to get your boating license today through BOATsmart. 

All boating safety courses and testing for PCOC will be delivered by course providers accredited by Transport Canada, and services and fees vary as they are determined by the course providers.

Yup, there's no escaping this one, its just got to be done.  Now that you are properly certified you are ready to hit the water! 

Happy boating!


If you like this, you might also like the Boat Buying Guide article.





Subscribe to Email Updates

Lists by Topic

see all